This is a typical conversation when you meet someone new:
White Person A: Where Are You From?
White Person B: I live down the street.
And this is my typical conversation when I meet someone new:
Person A: Where Are You From?
Me: I live down the street.
A: No, where are you really from?
Me: I’m from Melbourne.
A: Nooooo, I mean where are you really from?
Me: Fuck you, I’m not your zoo.
Many have argued that I’m being overly sensitive and that they just want to get to know me.
Fuck you, I’m not your curiosity’s sake.
Many continue to define racism as an overt kind of racism. Racism is like the “KKK-type” of racism, right? I’m sorry to burst your little bubble. Racism comes in all shapes and forms. It is embedded, subtle and for many, it’s an everyday occurrence. It’s the racially “jokey” ones. There’s nothing casual about denying or oppressing someone’s cultural identity and beliefs.
Get lost, clearly you’ve never been on the receiving end. Your ignorant and well-meaningful jabs bloody hurts. How would you like it when you get jabbed frequently? Let me take the end of an umbrella and let me poke you 10 times a day, for a week. Please let me jab you everyday for a month. No, no… let me jab you for the rest of your entire existence.
Welcome to my life. My everyday life is dealing with ‘sincere’ and ever-so curious background checks. My life is full of pokes and jabs.
This very question lacks context and sincerity. Here are some of the reasons why the question WAYF is racist:
– making that person feel like they are an alien or an exotic zoo animal or strange species
– we’re from somewhere and don’t belong here
– a reminder that I am not White enough
– an innocuous form of denying one’s existence
– it’s such a vague question, I for one never ask a person’s culturally background on the very first meeting.
– there’s heaps of studies and research to back what i said as alienating and racial.
– if you want further proof, read and google ‘microaggressive racism’
There you have it. So when you see an angry lady going off, it’s because someone asked me the ‘harmless’ question WAYF.
I’m not an exotic being. I’m just a human.
-written by Suzanne Nguyen